To make tomato rice you need:
· Tomato 3 med. sized or 4 small
· Basmati Rice 1 cup.
· Onion 1 med. sized, finely sliced, lengthwise.
To grind the cooked rice :
· ¼ Cup Grated coconut
· 6-7 Red chili (Byadagi)
· 2 Tsp. Coriander seeds
· 1 Tsp. Cumin seeds
· ½ Tsp. Fenugreek seeds
· 1 small pinch Asafoetida
· 2-3 seeds Black pepper
· 7 Cloves
· 3-4 pods Cardamom
· Nutmeg For flavor
· Mint leaves 2 springs.
· Garlic flakes 6 - 7
· Ginger 1"
· Green chilies 2
· Raisins 3 tsp.
· Cashew nuts 3 tsp.
· Carrots, beans 1 Tbsp. chopped into small pieces.
· Ghee. Cinnamon Stick 1", crushed
· Coriander leaves 1 small bunch.
· Bay leaf 1
· Cook basmati rice, till just done.
· Make smooth paste of the ingredients listed above (For paste).
· Heat 1 tsp. ghee in a wok, add the ingredients listed above to grind (take only half the amount of clove and cardamom listed above), fry slightly then grind smooth in a blender.
· Heat about 2 tsp. ghee in the wok, add raisins and cashew nuts and fry carefully until cashew nuts are slightly brown, remove from wok and keep aside.
· To the same wok add carrot + beans pieces, if too dry add 1 tsp. ghee and fry till just soft.
· Take about 2 Tbsp. ghee in a non-stick vessel, add cinnamon, remaining clove, cardamom, bay leaf and fry slightly. Then add onion slices and fry till brown.
· Add garlic-ginger-mint paste, fry till slightly brown and dry.
· Add ground coconut and spices and stir till dry.
· Add 1 tsp. sugar and salt to taste. Then add cooked rice, mix well.
· Add veg. chunks, raisin, cashew nuts, chopped coriander and mix well.
· Serve hot. If not served immediately, then pour into a oven safe tray, sprinkle little water, cover with aluminum foil, keep the tray in the oven and maintain oven temp. at 200 F.
Vegetarian Recipes Articles Contact Partners Home
©1996-2007.Deliciousindia.com. All rights reserved.