To make tomato rice you need:
- Tomato 3 med. sized or 4 small
- Basmati Rice 1 cup.
- Onion 1 med. sized, finely sliced, lengthwise.
To grind the cooked rice :
- ¼ Cup Grated coconut
- 6-7 Red chili (Byadagi)
- 2 Tsp. Coriander seeds
- 1 Tsp. Cumin seeds
- ½ Tsp. Fenugreek seeds
- 1 small pinch Asafoetida
- 2-3 seeds Black pepper
- 7 Cloves
- 3-4 pods Cardamom
- Nutmeg For flavor
- Mint leaves 2 springs.
- Garlic flakes 6 – 7
- Ginger 1″
- Green chilies 2
- Raisins 3 tsp.
- Cashew nuts 3 tsp.
- Carrots, beans 1 Tbsp. chopped into small pieces.
- Ghee. Cinnamon Stick 1″, crushed
- Coriander leaves 1 small bunch.
- Bay leaf 1
- Cook basmati rice, till just done.
- Make smooth paste of the ingredients listed above (For paste).
- Heat 1 tsp. ghee in a wok, add the ingredients listed above to grind (take only half the amount of clove and cardamom listed above), fry slightly then grind smooth in a blender.
- Heat about 2 tsp. ghee in the wok, add raisins and cashew nuts and fry carefully until cashew nuts are slightly brown, remove from wok and keep aside.
- To the same wok add carrot + beans pieces, if too dry add 1 tsp. ghee and fry till just soft.
- Take about 2 Tbsp. ghee in a non-stick vessel, add cinnamon, remaining clove, cardamom, bay leaf and fry slightly. Then add onion slices and fry till brown.
- Add garlic-ginger-mint paste, fry till slightly brown and dry.
- Add ground coconut and spices and stir till dry.
- Add 1 tsp. sugar and salt to taste. Then add cooked rice, mix well.
- Add veg. chunks, raisin, cashew nuts, chopped coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot. If not served immediately, then pour into a oven safe tray, sprinkle little water, cover with aluminum foil, keep the tray in the oven and maintain oven temp. at 200 F.