- 2.7kg RipeTomatoes
- 450g Onions
- 350g Sugar
- 300ml Malt Vinegar
- 25g Salt
- 2 tsp Paprika
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
Method of preparation:
- Wash and chop the tomatoes
- Peel and chop the onions.
- Place the tomatoes and onions into a heavy bottomed saucepan, cook gently to release the tomato juices, simmer for 20 – 30 minutes until tender.
- Add the salt, paprika, cayenne and half of the vinegar, cook gently for 45 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
- Add the sugar and remaining vinegar, stirring until fully dissolved.
- Continue simmering, until the mixture becomes thick, stirring occasionally.
- Leave for 3 – 5 weeks to allow the flavor to mature