For making delicious samosas, the following things are required
For the crust:
- 1 cup all purpose flour( Maida precisely)
- Water to Knead dough
- 2 tablespoons of oil(refined oil preferred)
- Salt ( as per the taste)
- 1/4th teaspoon Ajwain( also known as Bishop’s weeds)
For the stuffing:
- 4 mashed boiled potatoes
- Boiled green peas
- 1-2 finely chopped green chilies
- ½ tsp crushed ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander leaves
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- Salt to taste
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili powder
Preparing the Samosa:
To prepare the crust,
- Knead the dough using water and oil mixing all other mentioned ingredients
- Covering it with a moist muslin cloth will keep it soft and moist.
- Keep it aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
To prepare the stuffing:
- Blend all the ingredients well including the mashed potato. For better taste, often the mixed content is fried lightly in small amount of oil.
To prepare the final Samosa:
- One can give any shape to the dough and stuff but the most common shape is small cones.
- Fill the stuffing into them and pack them from the wide end of the cone.
- To ensure that they are sealed use a few drops of water. One can also prepare a temporary sealing paste using flour and water.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Deep fry the samosas till golden brown.
- Serve hot with ketchup or tamarind chutney.