For preparation of Sambhar, you need:
· 1 Cup Split Red Gram (Kandipappu in Telugu)
· 4 Tomatoes
· 2 Onions
· 1 Tsp. Ginger Paste
· 1 Tsp. Garlic Crushed
· 4 Tsp. Coconut Powder
· Coriander Leaves - a fist full
· 10-15 Curry Leaves
· 4 Okra
· 3 Brinjal
· 4 Green Chili
· 50gms Oil
· ½ Tsp. Mustard seeds
· ½ Tsp. Cumin seeds
· 2 pinches Asafoetida (Inguva in Telugu)
· Salt to taste
· ½ Tsp. Red Chili Powder
· ¾ Tsp. Turmeric
· 3 Tsp. Tamarind paste
· 2 Dry Red Chili
For Sambar Powder you need
· 3 Tsp. Coriander Seeds
· 1 ½ Tsp. Cumin Seeds
· ¾ Tsp. Split Red Gram
Method of preparation of powder:
· Mix all above ingredients in a small skillet and fry until they turn brown or they split.
· Remove from heat and let cool.
· When cooled make into a fine powder and keep aside.
Method of preparation of Sambhar :
· Cut all the vegetables i.e tomatoes, okras, brinjals, onions into large pieces slightly larger than bite sized pieces. Keep aside.
· Pressure-cook the split red gram with enough water to become very soft.
· In a large pot heat oil and add mustard and cumin seeds. When they start to split, add green chilies, curry leaves and asafetida.
· Immediately add 5 cups of water, vegetable pieces, tamarind paste, turmeric, salt and red chili powder and on medium heat bring to a boil.
· Cook for 10 more minutes or until the vegetable pieces are soft.
· Now add the cooked red gram, stir well and cook for 10 more minutes.
· Now add sambar powder, ginger-garlic paste and coconut powder, coriander leaves, one-tsp sugar, and stir well.
· Cook for 10 more minutes with low flame and cover.
· Remove from heat.
· Serve hot with Idli, Dosa and plain white Rice.
Vegetarian Recipes Articles Contact Partners Home
©1996-2007.Deliciousindia.com. All rights reserved.