For preparing pongal you need:
- 1 cup Rice
- 1/2 cup Green Gram Dal
- 1 cup Milk
- 3 cups Jaggery (powdered)
- 4 tbsp Ghee
- 2 tbsp Cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp Raisins
- 5 no Cardamoms (powdered)
- 2 no Cloves (powdered)
- 1 small piece Nutmeg (grated or powdered)
- A pinch of Saffron
- 2 1/2 cups Water
Method of preparation of Pongal:
- Roast dry the green gram dal for a approximately 2 minutes.
- Cook the rice and green gram dhal with 2 1/2 cups of water and 1 cup milk in the microwave.
- Dissolve the jaggery in 3/4 cup water and cook on a low heat till the jaggery melts.
- Strain the jaggery to remove any foreign particles.
- Put the syrup once more on the heat and stir till it becomes slightly sticky.
- Add the cooked rice and dhal.
- Heat the 4 tbsp ghee.
Garnishing and serving:
- Fry the cashew nuts and raisins and add to the pongal.
- Add the powdered cardamoms, cloves nutmeg and saffron.
- Mix well and serve hot.