For making fluffy soft idlis you need:
- 4 cups (heaped) – raw long grain rice
- 1 cup (heaped) and 1/2 cup – split urud dhal
- Salt to taste.
Method of preparation :
- Pressure cook the rice without adding water in the rice for 5 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to subside on its own.
- Then add lukewarm water to the rice and soak it for 4 hours.
- Just an hour before grinding, wash and soak the urad dal.
- First grind the urad dal in the mixie.
- Then grind the rice to a fine consistency. Not too fine as a paste of course.
- Mix the two and add the required salt.
- Mix thoroughly.
- The final batter should not be too thick or too watery.
- Allow the batter to ferment for at least 12 hours.
- Then prepare the idli in the usual manner and really soft idlis will be got.
- This is a very good way to prepare soft idlis by grinding in a mixie when one does not have the traditional stone grinder and also the parboiled rice.