For making fluffy soft idlis you need:
· 4 cups (heaped) - raw long grain rice
· 1 cup (heaped) and 1/2 cup - split urud dhal
· Salt to taste.
Method of preparation :
· Pressure cook the rice without adding water in the rice for 5 minutes.
· Allow the pressure to subside on its own.
· Then add lukewarm water to the rice and soak it for 4 hours.
· Just an hour before grinding, wash and soak the urad dal.
· First grind the urad dal in the mixie.
· Then grind the rice to a fine consistency. Not too fine as a paste of course.
· Mix the two and add the required salt.
· Mix thoroughly.
· The final batter should not be too thick or too watery.
· Allow the batter to ferment for at least 12 hours.
· Then prepare the idli in the usual manner and really soft idlis will be got.
· This is a very good way to prepare soft idlis by grinding in a mixie when one does not have the traditional stone grinder and also the parboiled rice.
Vegetarian Recipes Articles Contact Partners Home
©1996-2007.Deliciousindia.com. All rights reserved.