To prepare dal makhani you need:
· 1 cup of Masoor Dal (Lentil Dal)
· 1 Onion ( 2 if the size is small)
· 1 Tomato
· 5-6 Green Chilies (add the chilies according to your taste)
· 2-3 tbsp of Vegetable oil.
· 2-3 tbsp of Ghee
· 1/2 tsp of Garlic paste
· 1 tsp of Shazeera (Kala jeera or Caraway seeds)
· 2 Cardamom
· 2 Cinnamon
· Chili Powder (add it only if necessary)
· Salt to taste
· 2-3 cups of water.
Method of preparation:
· Cook the Massor Dal (Lentil Dal) in a pressure cooker till you listen 2 whistles and then keep it aside. Do not overcook the Dal.
· In a pan heat the oil. When hot add the garlic paste and let it fry for a while. Later add the onions & green chilies. Fry them till they are golden brown.
· And then finally add the tomatoes. When onions, green chilies & tomatoes are well cooked keep them aside & allow this mixture to cool.
· Once the mixture is cool grind it into a smooth paste and keep it aside.
· Also grind Shazeera & Cinnamon into fine powder separately and keep it aside.
· In another pan add ghee & heat it. Once hot add cardamom and then the powdered mixture of Shazeera & cinnamon.
· Allow it to splutter.
· Then add the cooked massor dal along with 2-3 cups of water (You can add more amount of water according to the consistency you want).
· Bring it to boil. And then add the fine smooth paste (onions + green chilies + tomatoes) to the masoor dal.
· Stir the whole mixture well & boil for about 5 minutes.
· Finally add the salt. (Add chili powder only if the spicy taste is reduced otherwise it’s not required). Garnish with coriander & serve hot.